If I’m being honest, the truth is that I’m struggling today. I look in the mirror and I see myself as being fatter than ever – almost as if I’ve been blown up like a balloon. I’m not currently making the progress I had hoped to be making this month. And I just generally feel very sad – for no good reason at all. I could break down in tears at the slightest provocation (in fact, I did this morning when I was getting dressed).
So in this post today, I want to take the opportunity to purposefully choose to highlight things that I know show my progress, even though I can’t feel that progress in my soul right now.
Fakin’ it til I make it.
- I lost nine pounds in August. For some reason, I had it in my head that I’d only lost 5 or less in the last month. But no – the reality is that I lost nine.
- I wear dresses a lot now. I’ve always loved dresses, but I never wore them because they made me feel uncomfortable. Now? I adore them and think they’re more comfortable than pants.
- I look forward to my workouts each week. I’ve only missed class because of terrible back pain or because I was traveling for a long weekend. While I can’t see the difference in my body as a result of the classes, I can tell I’m getting stronger. Each class I can push a little more. I’ve also lost an inch off my waist and an inch and a half off my hips since I’ve been taking these barre classes.
- With the exception of today, my mental health has been stellar. I’ve been happy and – dare I say? – confident.
- I spent the long weekend with my Grandma and still managed to stay on my plan and not overeat or eat things I shouldn’t.
- I like taking selfies now (most of the time, at least). I think I’m pretty way more than I used to.
I’ve just gotta keep on keeping on. I am not failing. I have made TONS of progress. And even on days I can’t see it or feel it, I know it’s there…like the wind (oh god, that’s perilously close to that one line from A Walk to Remember…).
And now I’m going to leave you with some (slightly edited) lyrics to a Meghan Trainor song I only recently discovered…
That I woke up feelin’ this way
And I can’t help lovin’ myself
And I don’t need nobody else, nuh uh