I’ve had this salad (or a variation of it) three times in the last week and a half. It’s amazing – and this is coming from someone who never once thought to put asparagus on a salad!
I realized while eating it for lunch today that I wanted to share this amazing dish with you. That means the only picture I have of it is from right before I started eating lunch. It’s not a pretty picture – but don’t let that stop you from trying it!
If you make it exactly as I describe below, it has either 531 Calories (made with a whole Perdue Perfectly Portioned Italian Style Chicken Breast) or 481 (made with Perdue Shortcuts Grilled Chicken Strips).
And the majority of the calories come from the dressing (but it’s worth it, because it’s the dressing that makes it oh-so-good).
- 3 Cups Lettuce or Salad Blend (I use Fresh Selections Romaine Blend)
- 20 Medium or Small Asparagus Stalks
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 oz Chicken, Grilled
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (add more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (add more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 450. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 Tbsp lemon juice and garlic. Roast the asparagus for about 8 minutes, until just tender and the tips begin to turn brown. Add salt and pepper to season.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining lemon juice with the mustard and the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce/salad blend with all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Arrange the salad on plates and top with the roasted asparagus and grilled chicken. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the asparagus and serve.
- Don't cook the asparagus too long! You want it to still have a nice crisp feel to it when you bite into it.